HOW TO RELIEVE A COLD
One of our dear primary teachers, Teacher Júlia, a lady in her early fifties, has just left the pharmacy, her tortoise glasses balanced on the tip of her red nose, and her hair neatly arranged in a banana bun. She sneezed half a dozen times onto an embroidered handkerchief and began by complaining about the trickle on her nose that kept on falling.
“Doctor, I have my nose blocked and my eyes filled with tears, as if I were peeling onions.Classes are over, but I still have a lot of school meetings and I need to go on. I measured the temperature before leaving home and I did not have a fever, today I feel more tired than usual. “
It is the most frequent VIRAL INFECTION in the human being.
The rhinovirus is the main culprit!
It mainly affects the NOSE, a THROAT and the EARS.
What are the symptoms of a cold?
- Dripping or congested nose
- Irritating throat or difficulty swallowing
- Watery eyes
- Mild to moderate head and body aches
- Low fever
- Reduced smell and taste – “Food has no taste and flowers do not smell”
How can I be infected or infect others?
When touching with HANDS on contaminated objects, and then touching the eyes, nose and mouth.
Good gestures to avoid contagion
- Wash your hands often, especially after you sneeze, cough or blow a child
- Use paper tissues, and discard them immediately after use,
- Cover mouth and nose when sneezing or coughing,
- Do not drink from someone else’s cup, mug or bottle,
- You should use a towel only for yourself.
WHAT IS THE BEST MEDICINE FOR TREATING A COLD?
There is no specific medicine to treat a cold, but it is possible to relieve the symptoms:
* Pain and Fever: analgesics and antipyretics, to which are added the anti-inflammatory,
* Runny nose and sneezing: Antihistamines (should be used sparingly)
* Unblock the nose: Decongestants or sprays of sea water.
* Irritated throat: throat sweets.
Rest, hydration, and…
Rest helps restore.
Drink plenty of fluids – water, soups, fruit juices – to prevent dehydration.
Inhalations (without essences) to fluidize the secretions.
Ask your family pharmacist because these medicines require care and not everyone can take them.
The common COLD is benign and fleeting, it can last for two weeks, but most people recover within a week.
If symptoms do not improve over time and treatment, consult a physician.
If in doubt ask your pharmacist 😉